Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ice Cream Cake-ish

PRINT THIS RECIPE
Ok, this was 100% adopted from a great ice cream cake I had last summer. The original cake was made in a loaf pan and cut in thick slices. It was delicious.

This is a quick crowd pleaser. I asked our guests for their favorite ice cream and candy bar. They gave me chocolate and snickers. Here are the ingredients. Cool whip not shown. Notice I allowed the icecream to sit and get soft first.

I also was in a HUGE hurry to make this and needed to get it in the freezer, so I'm using a (cheater) crust. Bonus, I have a stockpile of these crusts, they're great to have on hand. There's usually a coupon for these too (and even better when my store triples my coupons - I get them for nearly free, or less than 20 cents!) I usually use a crushed cookie.

Here's the soft ice cream. I meant it when I said soft. Trust me, you'll thank me!

Gently start smooshing the ice cream. It doesn't have to be perfect. That's the key to this masterpiece!


Now cover the icecream with the topping - chocolate syrup in this project. And use as much (or as little) as you'd like. Other options on this layer are hot fudge, strawberry topping, real peanut butter. At this point, put it back into the freezer and let it freeze. Otherwise, the topping will goo the next layer....

Also, let this set on the counter and get soft. It's much easier to spread. I've taken a spatula and beat it around a bit - again so it's easier to spread.

Remember what I said - this is not perfect! Dump the cool whip and start spreading. I was in a hurry (shocker) so I didn't let the icecream and chocolate syrup refreeze. But that's ok - because I have another cheat that comes in the form of the caramel I'll swirl on the top of the cool whip.

Dice up your candy bar, nice small even pieces.

Add the caramel and the snickers. Here's the final product. Again, let it refreeze to get a solid frozen treat.

Great options:
Chocolate peanut butter cookie crust, peanut butter or PB cup icecream, PB or chocolate syrup, cool whip and reese cups.

Vanilla wafer cookies, strawberry ice cream, strawberry topping, cool whip and fresh strawberries.

Keebler Grasshopper cookies (they're similar to Thin Mints - only year 'round!), mint chocolate chip ice cream, hot fudge or chocolate syrup, cool whip, topped with andes mints.

Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I think you need banner ads on these pages so you can quit your job and do baking/scrapbooking full-time! I'm very interested in the wafer/strawberry ice cream cake. (you know I'm not a big chocolate fan) Thanks! Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you adapted my original ice cream cake!! love it! I'm probably going to make the good fashioned original pretty soon...but maybe I'll make the original plus had PB as you know that's my fav! :)

    ReplyDelete